March 22, 23, 24, 2019
ohio DEATH MIDWIFE CERTIFICATION
Wingate by Wyndham - 4320 Glendale Milford Rd.
Cincinnati, OH 45242
SPACE IS LIMITED!
FOR INFORMATION CALL 224-501-5443.
FOR LODGING CALL 513-733-1142
Friday March 22 - Sunday March 24, 2019
YOUR SPACE IS NOT GUARANTEED UNTIL COMPLETED REGISTRATION AND FEES HAVE BEEN RECEIVED. REGISTRATION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
(THINK OF IT LIKE A CONCERT TICKET)
MEALS AND ACCOMMODATIONS ARE NOT INCLUDED. PLEASE CALL THE VENUE TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS.
QUESTIONS? CONTACT ANGIE BUCHANAN (224) 501-5443 OR ANGIE@DEATHMIDWIFE.ORG
For the last 100 years the care of our dead has gradually been turned over to businesses. The recent decade has seen resurgence in families providing end-of-life care to loved ones through home hospice care. As a natural extension of hospice more and more families are choosing to care for their loved ones — before and after death – in their homes.
The work of Death Midwives and home funeral guides does not duplicate the work of professionals such as nurses or funeral directors. We work alongside them and our skills are not medically oriented, they are community, spiritually, traditionally, hands and heart-oriented. We use the ancient and time-proven techniques of an open and compassionate heart, touch, and our voices. This work can be done in any setting, whether in a hospital, nursing facility or a home.
When a loved one’s death is dignified, peaceful and meaningful, it can be a sacred experience for those left behind. Often an event such as this heals family rifts and enables people to reconnect with each other in ways that are life-changing for everyone involved. When families are able to participate in the ending of a loved one’s life it can be very empowering.
Earth Traditions; is offering a Death Midwife Certification Training in intensive fashion. This workshop is intended to focus and sharpen our natural skills and to give confidence, credibility and certification to those skills, building community and inspiring us as we embrace the most sacred threshold in the spiral of life, our final passage.
This training encourages participants to work with people before and after death. There is also a strong personal commitment component of this training that encourages community volunteering, especially with Hospice, elder or end-of-life environments such as Children’s Hospitals, AIDS Housing or senior living environments.
There is currently no nationally recognized Death Midwife Certification however; we are exploring, and working toward partnering with a qualified sponsoring organization that can host a national standardized training parameter under which thisprogram will comply. **
In this training you will:
• Learn tools and techniques for midwifing the dying.
• Consider family dynamics that occur as someone dies.
• How to determine if a family is a good fit for a home funeral.
• Experience the practice of dying; visioning our own death before we die.
• Learn tools for creating a sacred space for transition, before and after death.
• Legal paperwork required - how to research state laws and build bridges with others presently working inthe funeral industry.
• Practical role-play to develop skills with interviews and interaction with the dying, the family or community of the deceased and those attending after death ceremony.
• Awareness of the many on-line issues of after death and social networking.
• Will receive certification as a Death Midwife through Earth Traditions.
Who will benefit from this training?
• Patients facing a terminal illness.
• Friends and family caring for someone who is dying.
• Those who want to accompany a loved one through this process.
• Professionals working in hospices, hospitals, nursing homes who are seeking to expand their skills and effectiveness in assisting with death and dying.
• Healers and therapists who want to learn more.
• Celebrants, Chaplains and Community Activists or Educators.
• Hospice volunteers or those wishing to become volunteers.
• Anyone who wishes to learn more about cultivating presence and personal awareness in death, dying and living well.
• Those who want to prepare gracefully for their own journey through dying into death.
• Those who want to embrace the mystery of death, and educate others as well as participate in what can be the most sacred and deeply moving experience of their life.
The Schedule is:
In order to receive the certification you must be present, on time, and for the duration of the class each day.
Early Bird Rate Before February 1st, 2019 - $700.00
Regular Registration after February 1st, 2019 - $750.00
Non-refundable Deposit $350.00 - Holds your seat until 02/01/19 at $700.00 rate. Balance due after 02/01/19 is $400.00
5 Payments of $155.00 at your own pace. Full balance of $775.00 due by March 20th, 2019
Please make checks payable to
MAIL TO: EARTH TRADITIONS
PO BOX 510265, New Berlin, WI 53151
We also accept Paypal:Info@EarthTraditions.org
Instructor Angie Buchanan ~ Trained and certified as a Certified Death Midwife by Nora Cedarwind Young, one of the founders of the Death Midwife movement, Angie is also a Rite of Passage Officiant, Earth Traditions Minister, Emeritus Board Member of the Council for a Parliament of the World’s Religions, Pagan Student Advisor at the University of Chicago, and member of the National Home Funeral Alliance, and the National Chaplains Association. Angie lives and works in the Chicago area of Illinois, and in Wisconsin. She teaches a variety of workshops nationally and internationally. She creates and facilitates ceremonies for all of life’s passages, from birth through the grave.
Angie says; "Death is the only guarantee we have in life and it is a sacred Rite of Passage deserving of as much thoughtful care and planning as any other life event. I envision individuals and families acknowledging and respecting death by adequately preparing for their own, and by being available for loved ones who find themselves in this threshold." Angie is committed to educating individuals, small groups, families and entire communities or church groups to proudly reclaim family directed choice at end of life
**About Certification: "One of the most common types of certification in modern society is a professional certification, where a person is certified as being able to competently complete a job or task, usually by the passing of an examination and/or the completion of a program of study. Some professional certifications also require that one obtain work experience in a related field before the certification can be awarded. Some professional certifications are valid for a lifetime upon completing all certification requirements. Others expire after a certain period of time and have to be maintained with further education and/or testing. Certifications can differ within a profession by the level or specific area of expertise to which they refer. Certification does not designate that a person has sufficient knowledge in a subject area, only that they passed the test. Certification does not refer to the state of legally being able to practice or work in a profession. That is licensure." http://www.credentialingexcellence.org
Questions? Contact Angie Buchanan (224) 501-5443 or Angie@DeathMidwife.org