Minnesota Death Midwife Certification Class
October 19, 20, 21, 2018
Archer House - 212 Division St. S, Northfield, MN (800) 247-2235
Contact Angie Buchanan (224) 501-5443 or
For the last 100 years the care of our dead has gradually been turned over to businesses. The recent decade has seen resurgence in families providing end-of-life care to loved ones through home hospice care. As a natural extension of hospice more and more families are choosing to care for their loved ones — before and after death – in their homes.
The work of Death Midwives and home funeral guides does not duplicate the work of professionals such as nurses or funeral directors. We work alongside them and our skills are not medically oriented, they are community, spiritually, traditionally, hands and heart-oriented. We use the ancient and time-proven techniques of an open and compassionate heart, touch, and our voices. This work can be done in any setting, whether in a hospital, nursing facility or a home.
When a loved one’s death is dignified, peaceful and meaningful, it can be a sacred experience for those left behind. Often an event such as this heals family rifts and enables people to reconnect with each other in ways that are life-changing for everyone involved. When families are able to participate in the ending of a loved one’s life it can be very empowering.
In this training you will:
- Learn tools and techniques for midwifing the dying.
- Consider family dynamics that occur as someone dies.
- Learn the different facets of grief
- How to determine if a family is a good fit for a home funeral.
- Learn the many available options of body disposition
- Learn tools for creating a sacred space for transition, before and after death.
- Legal paperwork required - how to research state laws and build bridges with others presently working in the funeral industry.
- Practical role-play to develop skills with interviews and interaction with the dying, the family or community of the deceased and those attending after death ceremony.
- Will receive certification as a Death Midwife through Earth Traditions.
Who will benefit from this training?
- Patients facing a terminal illness.
- Friends and family caring for someone who is dying.
- Those who want to accompany a loved one through this process.
- Professionals working in hospices, hospitals, and nursing homes who are seeking to expand their skills and effectiveness in assisting with death and dying.
- Healers and therapists who want to learn more.
- Celebrants, Chaplains and Community Activists or Educators.
- Hospice volunteers or those wishing to become volunteers.
- Anyone working the funeral industry
- Anyone who wishes to learn more about cultivating presence and personal awareness in death, dying and living well.
- Those who want to prepare gracefully for their own journey through dying into death.
- Those who want to embrace the mystery of death, and educate others as well as participate in what can be the most sacred and deeply moving experience of their life.
Instructor Angie Buchanan ~ Trained and certified as a Certified Death Midwife by Nora Cedarwind Young, one of the founders of the Death Midwife movement, Angie is also a Rite of Passage Officiant, Earth Traditions Minister, Emeritus Board Member of the Council for a Parliament of the World’s Religions, Pagan Student Advisor at the University of Chicago, and member of the National Home Funeral Alliance, and the National Chaplains Association.
Angie lives and works in the Chicago area of Illinois, and in Wisconsin. She teaches a variety of workshops internationally. She creates and facilitates ceremonies for all of life’s passages, from birth through the grave. She is a founding member of Gaia’s Womb.
Angie is committed to educating individuals, small groups, families and entire communities or church groups to proudly reclaim family directed choice at end of life.
The cost is $750.00 (Early Bird Rate of $700.00 if paid in full by August 19, 2018)
Please make checks payable to Earth Traditions PO Box 510562, New Berlin, WI 53151
We also accept Paypal:Info@EarthTraditions.org
Meals and accommodations are not included. Please call the venue to make arrangements.
Archer House 212 Division Street S, Northfield, MN 55057
Early Bird Rate before 08/19/2018 $700.00
Balance before 08/19/2018 $350.00
Installment X 5 before 10/12/2018 (Total due $775.00) $155.00
Regular Registration $750.00