About the training
In This Training You Will:
- Learn tools and techniques for midwifing the dying
- Consider family dynamics that occur as someone dies
- Gain a better understanding of the many facets of grief and mourning
- Learn tools for creating sacred space for transition before and after death
- Learn the legal paperwork required in order to have your end -of-life choices honored
- Learn how to research state laws and build bridges with others presently working in the funeral industry
- Learn many new and different methods of body disposition so as to be able to inform friends and family of their end-of-life options
- Learn how to determine if a family is a good fit for a home funeral
- Experience the practice of dying; visioning our own death before we die
- Practical role-play to develop skills for interacting with the dying, the family or community of the deceased and those attending after death ceremony
- Learn techniques for self-care
- Receive certification as a Death Midwife through Earth Traditions
Who Will Benefit From This Training?
- Patients facing a terminal illness
- Friends and family caring for someone who is dying
- Those who want to accompany a loved one through this process
- Professionals working in hospice, hospitals or nursing homes who are seeking to expand their skills and effectiveness in assisting with death and dying care
- Healers and therapists who want to learn more
- Ministers, Clergy
- Celebrants, Chaplains and Community Activists or Educators
- Hospice volunteers or those wishing to become volunteers
- Anyone who wishes to learn more about cultivating presence and personal awareness in death, dying and living well
- Those who want to prepare gracefully for their own journey through dying into death
- Those wanting to embrace the mystery of death and educate others as well as participate in what can be the most sacred and deeply moving experience of their life.
REV. ANGIE BUCHANAN
Instructor Angie Buchanan: Trained as a Death Midwife and was Certified in 2011, by Nora Cedarwind Young, one of the founders of the Death Midwife movement. She was certified to teach in 2013. Angie is also a Rite of Passage Officiant, Senior Minister at Earth Traditions Church, Emeritus Board Member of the Council for a Parliament of the World’s Religions, and Pagan Student Advisor at the University of Chicago. She is a member of the National Home Funeral Alliance, and the National Chaplains Association.
Angie lives and works in the northern suburbs of Chicago. She travels extensively teaching a variety of workshops nationally and internationally. She creates and facilitates ceremonies for all of life’s passages, from birth through the grave. She is a founding member of Gaia’s Womb, an organization that provides weekend spiritual retreats for women.
Angie is committed to educating individuals, small groups, families, and entire communities or church groups to proudly reclaim family directed choice at end of life.
Questions? Contact Angie Buchanan (224) 501-5443 or Info@deathmidwife.org
"Death is the only guarantee we have in life and it is a sacred Rite of Passage deserving of as much thoughtful care and planning as any other life event. I envision individuals and families acknowledging and respecting death by adequately preparing for their own, and by being available for loved ones who find themselves in this threshold."